Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:35:06 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Shakes When Turning Hard  (Read 6226 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »

This has been something that my car does since day one. I've always thought that it was an effect from the car being FWD. But now I'm curious as to what exactly causes it.

Basically, when I'm at a stop light, and am taking a right turn while powering at maybe half throttle or more, the front tires (or chassis, it's hard to tell) will start shaking until the car is straightened out. At first I thought it was the tires skidding across the pavement, but I'm not sure.

Like I said, I'm just curious as to what causes that to happen. I don't know if any of you guys have experienced this before, or if it could be something related to the AT, or what. It happens on every right turn when powering hard.

Thanks.

CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

Could be wheel hop. Take it easier on the throttle.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »

Ahhh I guess that makes sense. It's so annoying when I don't power the turn when I want to get up and go, because when I take it light, the car upshifts to second, then when I straighten out I have to punch it to get to to downshift back to first, lol. Too many unnecessary shifts Tongue

Edit: I just tried it again, and it definitely seems like wheel hop. I guess there isn't really anything I can do about it, besides getting stiffer mounts. Plus from what I've heard, the Ingalls ETD doesn't really make a difference.

slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:59 PM »

Aren't you auto? You won't get wheel hop
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »

Aren't you auto? You won't get wheel hop

We definitely do. Trust me, punch any auto (front wheel drive) and you'll get wheel hop. I definitely do.

Get stiffer tranny and engine mounts, that's your resolution.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:24:42 PM »

Jeremy doesn't know about auto wheel hop since he drove his Accord like a grandfather. Remember, his was an autotragic as well.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »

Yeah, that shouldn't happen regardless of AT or MT.  Are you losing traction when you do this?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »

Even though this may be slightly off topic but Jeff, you still haven't blown up your car from the last time you described something being a little off.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »

Tim, my tires don't lose traction at all. I don't recall my shitty old Michelins losing traction either when this happens.

And Z, you're right. I'm just waiting until I feel like everything that my car does isn't right. Then I'll make sure to blow it up.

Would stiffening the front end any more help at all? I'm thinking about getting myself a v6 6mt strut tower brace for a birthday/christmas present. I highly doubt the frame has anything to do with this, though.

Tim, do you think it'd be possible to fabricate my own ETD, like the Ingalls, but using an actual dampener? I know you told me awhile ago that the Ingalls isn't a real dampener. I don't know where you could get the parts but, I do have a lot of spare steel that I could use to fabricate mounts with.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »

IIRC, the 2nd gen CL 6MT has an actual dampener. Its about the right size for what you're looking to do but it'd be a bit of work to fab up mounts and the like. I wish I had time to do these sorts of things.

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »

My grandfather has a milling machine that I've used numerous times before. I'd just be more worried about getting the right dimensions for the mounts so that they're strong enough to hold and not bend/break in half.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »

I could help you out with that but since my car is over 7k miles away, it'd be a bit difficult.

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »

Haha yeah, it's no big deal. I'm just thinking out loud right now. But if I could get my hands on a dampener, it would be fun to try and get it to work.

I think I found the dampener from the CL:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CL&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=2DR+SPORT&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=ENGINE+MOUNTS+(MT)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List%20All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Part #17. Not too terrible at $72. I wonder if it could work with the Ingalls mounts. I'll keep thinking about this idea. Maybe I can find the dampener at a junk yard. I would be lucky as hell if I could.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »

You'd be VERY lucky considering the 6MT CL's aren't exactly a common vehicle.

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »

i have installed new oem  engine mounts with Ingalls torque damper  and 6mt strut bar i dont get wheel hop my engine barley moves like it used to and the car stays nice and balance when i take turns but am still working on extended lugs for my top hat and front sway bar to complete the front . I think i read in one of the forums Nrg makes the type of damper you looking for have you try researching them?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:19:23 PM by cna » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012