Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:00:09 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this problem have to do with alignment? something else?  (Read 10080 times)
rich

Reputation Power: 4
rich pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »

Ok so here's the scoop.

a month or so ago my car was really shaky  (steering wheel and other interior parts) and the second i let off the steering wheel it immediately went to the right so i figured bad alignment...i went ahead and checked my tires and noticed my tires were wearing uneven and the RR had better tread than the LF, so i swapped them...the problem seemed to go away...it still pulled a little to the right but not immediately and a lot less shaking...so yesterday it started doing it again...havent looked at the tires yet but i know i need an alignment but should that fix it up? or is there something else i should be looking into getting fixed? basically when my hand was on the wheel tonight, my watch on my hand was shaking like crazy...i even saw my passenger seat shaking a lot...it seems to do it at lower speeds under 45 and lessens at higher speed but still does it, not as bad...when at  dead stop, the second i take off if my hand isnt on the wheel, the wheel quickly jerks to the right....

if u have any other questions to kinda try to diagnose this, ask away and ill answer the best i can

thanks

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6speed
for sale!
Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

Reputation Power: 11
sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:58 PM »

well get an alignment and see if that fixes it...also, if you are rotating your tires regularly, there shouldn't be that much of a tread difference

Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »

Moved to appropriate forum.

As for the shaking, sounds like an alignment issue as well as a wheel balance issue. Try the alignment first like Mark said and if you already have your car up on the rack, have them check your wheel balance. Hit any potholes lately?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »

If the alignment and rotating your tires doesn't fix it, then take a look at the axles and possibly wheel bearings.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
rich

rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:37 PM »

eek, tim, if it comes down to that...that sounds like it ain't cheap...but my hope is alignment...the road i take north to get home, is pretty shitty. i tried to stay on the outside lane b/c less potholes that have been fixed, but still bumpy..i might have to start getting off at the next exit or finding another route...that is, after i get this fixed

for sale!
rich

rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »

oh and is it worth it to get my alignment BEFORE getting new tires? i would like to get this done but i think in about 4-5 months i'll need new tires...i just don't wanna double pay for an alignment but i would think just getting new tires, wouldnt screw up an alignment...or am i wrong?

for sale!
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »

Buy the lifetime alignment through Firestone.
neoryan7

Reputation Power: 1
neoryan7 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:44:46 AM »

^ thats what i have, ive had my car aligned about 20 times in the past few years.

I was thinking axle, but have you had your ball joints checked?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »

I have the life time alignment with Firestone also.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 09:48:21 AM »

As do I. It costs double their standard alignment price but afterwards you don't pay shit. Totally worth it. I think I've had my car aligned about 6-8 times since last summer just to make sure shit's straight. Funny thing is, each time I've gone there's been slight adjustments made. You'd be surprised how easily alignments get thrown out of wack with daily driving over somewhat smooth road. I can imagine how fucked yours is if you're constantly "off roading" your car Rich on shit roads.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
rich

rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »

i thought Firestone doesn't do lowered cars. i think maybe the ones in my area can't because it seems the only places locally that work on lowered or modified cars, are really expensive. guess i'll have to make a few calls/stops next week as my next day off is next weds....i have no clue what a balljoint is and would have no idea where/what to start checking otherwise

for sale!
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

Reputation Power: 11
sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Buy the lifetime alignment through Firestone.

+++++++++++1,000,000

this is by far the best deal for any car when it comes to regular maintenance

Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:36 AM »

Balljoints are on your upper control arm that hook to your spindle. It's that bolt on a swivel with the castle nut at the top of the spindle. That's not the only one but it's the easiest one to see so you have an idea. As forr the lowered car thing, they don't do it because lowered cars have trouble getting on the racks. If they have wood to extend the ramps, you're good. If not, show up with your own.

MTsixspeed

Reputation Power: 2
MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »

Quote from: "rich"
...i went ahead and checked my tires and noticed my tires were wearing uneven and the RR had better tread than the LF, so i swapped them...

You rotated tires from one side to the other? I know with my tires, I can only rotate front to rear on the same side because the tread is directional.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
rich

rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:26:59 PM »

oh shit dude. i completely forgot about that!....i remember someone told me this and i fixed it quickly...but i forgot about that...guess i will have them fix that too b/c my tires are directional

for sale!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012