Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:08:57 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Axel  (Read 4204 times)
Accord1234

Reputation Power: 1
Accord1234 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »

Tried searching. Anybody have a how to on an axel change for an 05 Accord or can tell me how easy or hard it is? TZhanks
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

I believe Tim has done this before, maybe he'll pipe in.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »

Remove your wheel.  Remove the castle nut on the bottom of the knuckle.  Remove the 32mm axle nut.  Pop the lower ball joint out of the lower control arm.  Pull out the axle.  It would be beneficial to pick up a Haynes manual or Honda service manual.  Do you have a K24 or J30?  I'd like to move this to the appropriate forum.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Accord1234

Reputation Power: 1
Accord1234 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »

K24. You make that seem simple.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »

That's because in theory it is simple.  In practice, it isn't.  Just make sure you have a prybar to get the axles out if you run into problems.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »

I've done this procedure on other cars, and it's not that bad from what I remember. If you take your time you can definitely complete this work your self and save a ton of money over having it done.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »

The two hardest things would be getting the axle nuts off, and getting the axle out.

Tim
MTsixspeed

Reputation Power: 2
MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:03:17 AM »

I was told the tranny would have to be drained. I guess I heard wrong since Tim has done it before and mentions nothing of draining. I will most likely have to do this soon myself :-/

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »

You don't have to, but it is nice to have some ATF or MTF around just in case you pop the axle seal off. If the axle seals comes off, then tranny fluid will leak out. When removing an axle, always have a drain pan just in case you happen to pop the axle seal off.
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »

Good news. Thanks Thien! I should probably just break down and buy the axles now that I know I can do the labor with a friend of mine. I was dreading having to take it to a mechanic.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 11:40:37 AM »

Like Thien and Tim put it, the job is fairly simple. It never hurts to be prepared with oil in case you do leak (which I've never had happen but you never know). The hardest parts are what Tim mentioned but the axle getting stuck can be easily resolved with a BFS or prybar. When reinserting the axles, make sure the C clips are nearly perfectly centered or it'll be a bitch to put the axles back in.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »

I have been putting this off. I really need to buy the axles this weekend so that I can do the job next weekend. I just don't want to pay $323 each at the dealership! I can't believe their price.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »

To those of you that have done the job: What other than the axles should i buy before getting started? Any seals, grease, things that may break during the process, etc.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

Axle seal and some atf/mtf.

Tool wise:

Axle nut socket (32mm 6 point)
Pry bar
Rubber mallet