Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:21:03 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying a House Thread  (Read 133801 times)
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:14 AM »

Well guys I’m slowly in the process of fixing up my house to sell it, it was fine when it was just 3 of us but with a baby and accumulating toys and furniture there is just no more room. This weekend I’m going to try and finish painting the inside. Next weekend, lay down some kitchen tile and then start cleaning up the garage and by then it will be close to Thanksgiving. My thought is to put it up for sale early next year, maybe around April. I’m eyeing foreclosures at the moment because I can pick up a 4/2 2000sq ft double car garage and .3 acreage for $148k, which is cheap, other side of town it would go for $180k. It’s definitely a buyers market, so I hope I can sell my house for what I owe on it. Just looking for input and advice here and if anyone has any home buying related questions then post away.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »

Verify you can secure financing.  That's the tough part these days, even for those with flawless credit.  Good schools in the prospective area?  How about city/county property taxes?  What's the historical trend for housing values in the prospective area?  It may be a "good deal" now, doesn't mean you wont lose your butt going forward.
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:45:04 AM »

Just make sure you get a realator who actually gives a damn..  My parents realator we got through a neighbor friend and the guy never called to tell us anything after open houses or showings.  Basically he called to kick us out when someone wanted to see the house, and didn't even call to tell us we could go back.  The only reason they ended up selling the house was because my dad had to stay at the house during a showing and got a chance to talk to the lady who ended up buying it.  I have a feeling that if the government wasn't paying my dad's closing costs and realators fees, that guy wouldn't have gotten paid.

on another note, homes in AL are really cheap right now, you're right it's definitely a buyers market.  and the interest rates are still incredibly low, but I have a feeling it's not going to last much longer.  I would get in contact with a realty and at least get the process moving along right now.

Take anything I say with a grain of salt, because no, I've never bought and sold a house of my own.  I'm only an observer of the process.

-brian
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »

I don't know I think things are going to stay about where they are at market and interst wise for another year or so. My plan is to buy in the next year.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:13:52 AM »

^ yea, agreed.  i bought my apt last year when interest rates were "rock bottom".  and yet, they're lower now than what i secured. 

im not complaining because i got a real good rate, but it just goes to show that you never know what will happen.

J u s t i n
slipkord
Veteran

slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »

I'm using the same realtor I used when I bought this house, real good guy, he's shooting me updates and working on securing financing numbers.
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »

Well great, I just found the perfect house and my wife loves it and so do I. Now I just need to find out how to sell my house and buy this at the same time. But first need to see what I can get loaned. Man I hate buying houses, such a clusterfuck.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

DV8mAn pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »

Whatever u do, don't do a bridge loan!  Make an offer with a contingency
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »

Please explain Jason
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »

Do you wiki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_loan
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

DV8mAn pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »

Short answer, dont buy a new house until you sell yours.  If you put in offer on a house before yours closes, add a contingency to your offer.  Bridge load is almost as intelligent as a 3 or 5 yr ARM (sarcasm).
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »

I wish I was in the position to buy a home.  The only thing I can do is wish you well Jeremy.  I have no advice. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »

Right now I'm trying to pay off all the debt I can. I want to go in with CC balances and things at $0.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »

you're a smart guy mike.

slipkord - how long have you owned your current home for - i.e. has it retained (increased) its value since you originally purchased it?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:42:54 PM by v6sicksspeed » Logged

J u s t i n
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »

I just got some fucking rocking lender news...just have to sell my house now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012