Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:53:37 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deactivating your ABS / VSA in the snow  (Read 7810 times)
06RockHead

Reputation Power: 2
06RockHead pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »

Hi guys hope January is finishing up well for everyone. But anyways, now I'm not sure how many of us on here drive frequently in the snow I personally do very often on  paved roads that don't receive treatment, ( they usally get plowed after the snow quits, an then receive no salt). I ve developed a very fond HATE of the ABS / VSA system on the car due to the lack of control and ability to make the car stop. So I gladly pulled the fuse. HUGE improvement! So I have some questions is it ok to do this to the system? Are there any adverse effects on the car ? An does anyone else do this ?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

You may crash. I don't think it will hurt anything. Just be careful. ABS is supposed to help you stop better, but I've found that its extremely touchy on our cars. I wish there was a way to dial it down a bit.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:25:32 PM »

I've moved this topic to here, since I don't really think it belongs in the Lounge area. 

Ben, to deactivate the VSA it's as simple as pushing the button that's on the left side of the dashboard.  As for deactivating the ABS, like Tim said, I'm not sure that you'll mess anything up, but, I wouldn't exactly pull the fuse.  Just because your tires are locking up, doesn't mean they're not skidding on the snow or ice.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
06RockHead

06RockHead pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »

Ya I'm pretty good with everything turned off just have to watch the speedo to see the skid. I was wondering about the effects this would have on the EBD but it seems that it just biases it to max rear power, which is fine by me I have yet for the rear to come around when braking in a stright line.  The snow tires I have gain maximum tractive force at about 60% wheel slip according to tire rack an it seems to hold true. So no ABS allows me to achieve this. As for the VSA button I should just tape that down. I was just worried about messing the computer up.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »

The front and rear bias is not adjusted in the abs module.  There is a proportioning valve thats totally separate from your abs module.  You should be able to feel if your wheels lock up or not, and not have to look at the speedo to figure it out.  If you're sliding in the snow, then that's not a good way to stop.  The point is to not slide and maintain control.  Whether you decide to do it manually, or have the abs do it for you is up to you.  Like I mentioned before, be careful.  What you seem to be doing doesn't sound too safe because of the way that you're driving, not because you've disabled the abs/vsa.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
06RockHead

06RockHead pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »

well so far ive been much more sucessful with regulating braking manually, because like you said its very touchy, touchy to the point where it doesnt allow any braking force to be applied. As for my driving yes I move it in the snow always have, mostly becuse its all country roads and hills. 
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »

Good luck with that then.

Tim
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »

Snow, ice, no ABS, winding hills, and speed. Sounds like a great combination there.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
06RockHead

06RockHead pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »

you guys hatin on me  Sad 
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:28:50 AM »

Honestly, I would wire it to a switch so that you can easily turn it on while you're driving. Sounds like a recipe for disaster lol.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »

you guys hatin on me  Sad 

Just trying to discourage stupid behavior so you don't kill yourself or worse, someone else. 
booley
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
booley pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »

when the roads are really crappy, i always turn my VSA off. i find it is the only way i can actually get anywhere. i really don't like the way the VSA limits the engine to supposedly give you more traction.
as for ABS, i would rather have all the help i can get when trying to stop in slippery conditions...
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »

when the roads are really crappy, i always turn my VSA off. i find it is the only way i can actually get anywhere. i really don't like the way the VSA limits the engine to supposedly give you more traction.
as for ABS, i would rather have all the help i can get when trying to stop in slippery conditions...
I agree non vsa. I end up stuck because of it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012