Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:57:06 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detailed: 1984 Ferrari 308 GTB  (Read 2896 times)
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »

This mostly original 1984 Ferrari 308 GTB was in need of a full corrective, concours preparation detail, since it was being entered in the Reading Ferrari Concours that coming weekend. As you can see, the car was in considerably good condition given it’s age and 90% original state, however had it’s fair share of work needed. With that said, we went to work to make this 26 year old Ferrari look that much younger!

Products used

Meguiars 105 + wool pad

Menzerna 203 + orange pad

Menzerna 106fa + black pad

P21S wheel cleaner

P21S TAW

P21S finish restorer

P21S paint cleanser

Meguiar’s super degreaser (tires/wheels wells)

Wolfgang Fuzion

Black Fire Wet Diamond

CG metal wax

Rejex

Procedure and notes: Process: Vehicle was degreased with P21S TAW, washed with CG citrus wash (prep took 3 hours). After all trim was taped off, did test panel and decided it needed wool pad to get rid of all defects. Whole car was done with wool pad and megs 105, followed with Menzerna 203 and orange pad and finished with Menzerna 106FA and white pad. P21S Paint Cleanser was used to remove left over polishing oils and to enhance gloss. BlackFire Wet Diamond sealant was applied and left overnight to cure. It was removed next morning, car was rinsed and applied Wolfgang Fuzion wax. Wheels were sealed with Rejex, tires were dressed with Poorboys Bold and Bright, interior received full leatherique treatment. Ferrari badge and logo were removed from back to polish those areas because there was a lot of swirls and dirt underneath. Engine and front compartment were cleaned and dressed. Glass cleaned, trunk was vacuumed

Paint correction took about 20 hours

As car arrived

Taped up

Front compartment before/after

Rear engine water channel had some kind of tar in it and would not come off with regular cleaners, Tarminator was used to remove it.

sorry no after pics

Exhaust tips before/after

Interior. Leatherique applied

After

Correction 50/50 and before/after

Before

After

Badges removed and polished under them.

After wax was removed

Outside Pics

As always, enjoy!

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »

Oakes - Detailed: 2006 Audi A6 - Double Tap

The story behind this car, is enough to make any proper detailer's head spin! This 2006 Audi A6, in black of course, was in dire need of a restoring detail. The owner was looking to get the paint back to the way it should be, after suffering some improper buffing and other defects. When we prepped the car, we found that hood had an almost matte finish to it, under the flourescent lights. Upon closer inspection, the flat look was a result of buffer trails that weren't properly finished down after an obvious high speed passing with the rotary. The paint was tested throughout the vehicle to see if it had been compromised in any other areas, after a slightly varying result in some places we decided the plan of attack was going to change throughout the car. The front end correction took me 4 hours alone, not including the bumper, and the results speak for themselves in the pictures!

The car was fully corrected by us and the owner even had the fortunate opportunity to hang out with us while we finished it! After a long night, we sent her home with expectations to see the car back to finish up the interior and get some outside photos in the daylight....or so we thought.

A few days later, the owner had emailed me, rather upset about the car. Which he had taken in for service, with strict instructions not to wash and notes on the repair order and so forth. However, the car had been washed anyway and some damage was already immediately noticable. After discussing things with the dealer, they sent him a check to have the car redone by us. So we got to see it again! I will say, upon it's return and follow up correction, I must say I'm impressed with the damage that was managed by the dealership. It was clear in certain places where the edges of the broomstyle brushes contacted the paint and the straight back and forth motions were clear on the hood and sides.

A total of 6 days were spent correcting this car between two seperate details, and finally sent home the way she should look!

Products used:
Meguairs 105 + wool pad
Menzerna 203 + orange pad
Menzerna 106fa + black pad
P21S wheel cleaner
P21S TAW
P21S polishing soap
P21S finish restorer
P21S paint cleanser
Poorboys Natural Look
Poorboys Bold ‘n Bright
Meguiar’s super degreaser (tires)
Meguiar’s wheel brightener
Black Fire Wet Diamond
CG Metal Wax
1z Pfledge (rubber door seals)
Rejex
Various brushes for wheels

Procedure and notes: Process: car was degreased with P21S TAW, washed with CG citrus wash(prep took 2 hours). Clayed the car, had a lot of contamination, specially on back of the car. Did test panel and decided it needed wool pad and meguairs 105 to get rid of all defects because car was in pretty bad shape. Whole car was done with wool pad and megs105, then followed with Menzerna 203 and orange pad and finished with Menzerna 106FA and black pad. Then removed left over polishing oils with P21S paint cleanser and to enhance gloss. BlackFire Wet Diamond sealant was applied. Wheels were sealed with Rejex, tires were dressed with Poorboys Bold and Bright, interior received quick cleaning. Rubber door moldings were conditioned with 1z Pfledge. Per owner request rear emblems were. Glass cleaned. Tail lights polished

As car arrived

wash and clay:

correction 50/50 and before/after

hood 50/50 video

windows pillar before

after wool and 105

after menz 203 and orange

center caps from wheels were polished per owner request because black paint was stripped after last detail somehow (products used in order, P21S polishing soap, P21S finish restorer, Rejex)

Exhaust tips before/after (P21S polishing soap, P21S finish restorer, Rejex)

Tail lights before and after (polished with wool and 105 like rest of the car, then with Menzerna 203 and orange)

After

1Z Pfledge applied to all rubber seals

final pictures (no outside pics because we finished it at 1 in the morning and owner took it home)

Got the car back to fix what dealership courtesy wash did.
Did all prep work again as usual.  
Procedure was same except for use of wool pad, Meguair’s 105 was required in couple spots but not on whole car

Here are results of dealership courtesy wash

50/50

Per customers request center wood trim was polished
Before

After

Interior after

Wheel before after

Reflection pics

Final pictures outside

Thanks for reading!

Oakes
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:37:23 PM by AV6NHBP6SPD » Logged

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 03:14:33 AM »

Very Nice Work!

I have 2 questions:
1) what do you use on the exhaust tips?
2) Just for my curiosity, do you actually do the washes inside the building or just the detail work? didn't spot any drains in the pics lol

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »

Quote from: "mnkyman"
Very Nice Work!

I have 2 questions:
1) what do you use on the exhaust tips?
2) Just for my curiosity, do you actually do the washes inside the building or just the detail work? didn't spot any drains in the pics lol

exhaust products updated but im gona remove a6 and post it in new threat when we DO IT AGAIN. customer took it to dealer for oil change and put in work sheet NOT TO WASH IT, guess what they did, yep they washed it. so we gona see how much damage their washes can do. dealership is giving us a check to redo the car.

we usualy wash car inside if its during day couse of sun, drain doesnt work so we use squegy to pull water out. its little incline so water goes to front of building

Misha
Antoni0_23

Reputation Power: 2
Antoni0_23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 11:24:38 AM »

Wow. Just Wow. Amazing work man. I have a question : What did you use to remove the emblem adhesive that got stuck on the car paint ? Someone decided to steal my Accord and v6 emblems and they just left me a horrible scratch (which I know the only way to get it out is to paint the bumper) and the emblem adhesive and I'm desperate to get it out since it looks real ugly.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »

not sure which emblem adhesive you talking about on ferrari since both emblems were bolted on, but to remove adgesive i use 3M adhesive remover. or you can try goo gone, which you can get at home depo. or go to any auto store and they sure will have some kinda adhesive remover.

Misha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012