Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 08:42:49 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Opinions: new struts or full coilovers?  (Read 2890 times)
'93accordse
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
'93accordse pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »

Hello Elite!

Ok, heres the deal.

The CM currently is rolling on Tein STech's over stock struts. I knew when I did it that it was not a permanent solution.
I'm approaching 95k miles on the odometer and I'm going to have to make a decision here soon.

My CM is my wife and kids DD. Originally this was the ultimate decision in going with the STech's since I wanted to maintain decent rideability for them, with the assumption that when the time came I would simply replace the OEM struts with something more suitable.
Also, I would avoid wanting to lower any further if the option didn't exist (i.e. - if I had adjustable coilovers)

Now time is marching on, I am looking to replace her CM with a newer vehicle and I will take over the CM as a DD. This has not happened yet but we are looking around the Holiday season for her to be in something different. Problem is, I need to make a suspension decision sooner than that.

So I have narrowed it down to 2 options. I am not made of money, and while I agree you get what you pay for, I would say $800 is right at my current limit.

1.) Koni Yellows. From what I can find online I can get all 4 struts for around $650. Adjustable dampening and a couple perch options, along with user reviews from here really make me want these. I figure that coupled with the STech's I already own this could be a good option. However, I havent seen anyone with this combination, most users I see with Koni's are running the Supercup kit.

2.) Tein Basics. I know that the consensus on this board for Tein coilovers are the SS, however I am trying to stay in the sub-1K range. At $750 I figure this option should be explored since they are in the same price range as the Koni's, within my budget, and will offer me more ride-height adjustability. However, I am not sure how the Basic's dampers perform, if they are comparable to the Koni's or not.

I am open to all options. If someone has any other options for me to consider in my price range I am listening. THANKS!

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »

In your price range that are worth it? I haven't heard of many. My question to you is where do you live? You mentioned making a decision before the holidays and where you live may sway our suggestions. As for the Koni's I've heard great things about them. Funny thing is, I have the EXACT same suspension you have and the same thoughts crossed my mind. The problem with the Basics is that if you lived in the salt belt (up north), the threads have a tendency of seizing up. Ask Tim and Dave about that. The Koni's have minimal height adjustability but have dampening adjustments where the Basics have height adjustability and no damping adjustments. Again, where you live plays a factor and ultimately what you want out of your suspension.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »

Give the Nex GT stuff a look Paul (NVA-AV6) gave them glowing reviews when I talked to him about suspension.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »

Forgot about those. Don't know too much about them myself.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
'93accordse
Fucking Newb

'93accordse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »

Well, i live in VA on the east coast, the winters around here are never that bad. I wouldnt be too concerned with the threads on the Basics being subjected to much abuse from salt. However, i did NOT know that the basics were not dampening adjustable. Thats interesting and pretty much solidifies the Basics into my "Nah" list.

Thanks for the tip on the NEX GT's. I'll have to look them up.

'93accordse
Fucking Newb

'93accordse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »

I like the NEX GT's. Has anyone heard of the Blackworks? Seems to mimic the NEX's design, even the written product summary echo each other. Read the following two descriptions:
http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/nex-gt-coilovers.asp
http://www.octanemotorsports.com/TSX-Suspension-Springs-&-Coilovers/c420_3895/p22084/04-08-05-06-07-Acura-TSX-BlackWorks-BWR-SS-Coilover-Kit/product_info.html

Anyone used or are currently using the Tanabe S-0C?

http://www.honsport.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_13_152&products_id=616
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/s0c.asp?id=6

THANKS!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012