Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:48:13 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rubber between top of spring and strut topmount  (Read 2271 times)
'93accordse
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
'93accordse pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »

Ok, legitimate question:

Neverminding any noise concerns, is there any purely mechanical reason why someone couldnt eliminate this rubber bushing? So that the top of the spring is resting directly on the underside of the top mount.

No reason really for this question, just based on an interesting conversation I had at work today.

Would there be any unsafe side-effect of not having this installed? The only thing I can think of is that the spring has potential to move around a little, but only if the spring loses contact with the top mount. I don't believe under normal circumstances that this happens.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »

Movement and an unGodly amount of noise.  Suicide No bueno.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
MTsixspeed

Reputation Power: 2
MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »

^+1

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
'93accordse
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
'93accordse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »

yeah, I agree, but in theory how would there be movement of the spring? If (and the argument is based on this) when assembling the strut the top hat screws down tightly onto the top of the spring then there should never be a reason for the spring to move (if it's tight off the vehicle, the strut/spring will never extend any further than that on the car) Therfore, if the spring doesnt move against the top hat, then there should be no noise.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done / tried this. Depending on the application this could give you up to an extra 1/2" on your drop with perhaps no side effects.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »

It will move and metal on metal is no bueno. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012