Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:31:38 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The cigar shop  (Read 104482 times)
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »

Last year i was into La Aurora 100 Años Belicoso cigars but i been meaning to try a opus x but so many options to choose from

ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »

What do you look for when cigar shopping?  I just found a cigar shop in the mall near me and when I went in to make a purchase, I really had no clue what to buy.  Other than going off the price tags, I had no clue which were good and which weren't. 
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »

I get to know the shop owner, let them know that you're new to cigars and ask for suggestions.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
exelr8
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »

I get to know the shop owner, let them know that you're new to cigars and ask for suggestions.

What Tim Said. The tobacconist will more than likely recommend a sweet flavored cigar or a lighter unflavored cigar. I got started with the Kahlua blend cigars(they dont exist any more). The Tabak Especial Dulce is very similar though

"Big Country"  "Lonesome postwhor3 #1" "Car Whore Squad Member #2"
SECM Squad #3...kinda
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »

I would get to know the shop owner, let them know that you're new to cigars and ask for suggestions. I still do that when I buy cigars. I'm always asking for suggestions.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
exelr8
Veteran

exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »

Since my tobacconist is rather large, we have cigar reps there all the time, I often ask them for recommendations. Their recommendations often end with a free cigar or swag.

SECM Squad #3...kinda
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »

Free sticks are always nice. I haven't seen a rep at the spot I usually go to. The only other shop that's near me isn't that great.

Tim
exelr8
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »

Rep for Nestor Miranda is often in our shop. A few times a year he brings the "not for sale" cigar. It's delicious. I got 2 of them, one if which I had sent to my buddy(rocketstarter, from here a few years ago) who was deployed.

SECM Squad #3...kinda
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »

Hmmm. A not for sale cigar. Sounds interesting.

Tim
exelr8
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

I'll try to snag you one next time he is there

SECM Squad #3...kinda
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »

When you make the trip up here I'll take you the place I pick up most of my cigars.  I've been working on filling up my humidor with some good and somewhat hard to find smokes.  I want to take the time to age them so I can really enjoy them down the road when the weather is nicer.  I'm also planning on getting a few cigars this year around my birthday so I can age them for some milestone birthdays that I have coming up.

Tim
exelr8
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »

Tim, do you use a cigar caddy when you travel?

SECM Squad #3...kinda
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

I don't have anything that I use for travel right now. I would like to pick up something that's cedar lined though. I've been considering one of the Xikar travel cases though. I definitely want something before I go on vacation in March.

Tim
exelr8
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »

I think the Aston case is cedar lined. I'd like to pick up a cigar caddy. It's sort of like a pelican case

SECM Squad #3...kinda
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 11:52:34 PM »

I think they're all pretty much the same.  A case lined with foam and a humidification device.  I've seen some 3 and 5 cigar cases that are lined with cedar.  I did find a cedar lined travel case though.  I may get one of the Xikar/Cigar Caddy/Cigar Mechanic 15 cigar cases for traveling though.  I figure I can bring a few smokes with me, but at the same time have enough room in case I find a nice shop wherever I'm visiting and hopefully pick up a few smokes.  That's what I did when I was in Denver.

What do you look for when cigar shopping?  I just found a cigar shop in the mall near me and when I went in to make a purchase, I really had no clue what to buy.  Other than going off the price tags, I had no clue which were good and which weren't.

I wanted to revisit your question and make a comment on the part of your statement in bold.  Cigars are a funny thing, where price doesn't mean quality.  Just because a cigar is expensive, doesn't mean that it's good.  Inversely, just because a cigar is inexpensive, it doesn't mean it's bad.  I've smoked really good $5 cigars and had expensive cigars that weren't very good at all.  Price is no indicator of quality.  That's why I made the suggestion to speak to the tobacconist in the shop and get some suggestions.  You may want to make a small list and pick up one at a time when you try them.  I'm assuming that you don't have a humidor, so you'll want your smoke to be fresh.  

If I would make a suggestion on a few cigars to start with, I would ask for an Arturo Fuente Short Story and an Oliva Serie G.  I have also had a few $5-6 Rocky Patel's that were very satisfying.  I'm partial to the Oliva, but the Short Story is a very popular cigar among a lot of my friends.  My only complaint about it is that it has a harder draw than I prefer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:11:16 AM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012