Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:49:04 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tech Gear Thread  (Read 112076 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »

I like amazon instant a lot, considering that i use amazon prime for my textbooks and pretty much everything else, it's a nice addition. I think having Amazon Prime is cheaper than netflix too, and you get more out of it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/netflix-hulu-plus-amazon-instant-video/

Nit3h4wk C0uP3
Veteran

Reputation Power: 5
Nit3h4wk C0uP3 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #376 on: February 28, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »

I just got a Gear Power by Iogear. Heavy little sucker. But it'll charge 2 phones at the same time and will come in handy when I can't get to an outlet. It's cool so far..
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 04, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »

Got a 39" Insignia basic little TV for kids play room. Out of the box the picture sucks which I knew going in. Thinking of investing in a calibrator. Any recommendations? Budget is maybe $250. I figure I'll use on all my TVs as well. Are these with the money?
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »

Got a 39" Insignia basic little TV for kids play room. Out of the box the picture sucks which I knew going in. Thinking of investing in a calibrator. Any recommendations? Budget is maybe $250. I figure I'll use on all my TVs as well. Are these with the money?
I have a Spyder4PRO that I use for my computer monitors.  They sell a separate TV module.  I've never used one for a TV though, so I wouldn't be able to comment on that aspect of it.

- Mark
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »

I was contemplating buying the Spyder4 for the TV. They say it does the job but it's basic. As long as it fixes the color I'm good!!
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:49 PM »

My laptop has a 25w amd Athlon dual core and I'm looking to upgrade. I don't see the point of shelling out a fuck ton of cash to replace it. I have found other cores that fit the socket. Question is, should I go with a triple or quad core phenom chip?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pascal

Reputation Power: 4
Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

Do you have the brand and model number of your laptop ? Just want to check out stats compared to todays midrange computers

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 01, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »

I'll do you one better: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02497777&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 01, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »

What are you looking for in your laptop that a new CPU would provide?

- Mark
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2014, 07:57:15 AM »

Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »

Your best cpu choice would be the phantom II P960 25W-35W quad core, it is cheap but you would still be considered as a slow pc. everything else on your laptop is considered slow as heck compared to today's standards

For comparison , this is the cpu from a low en 450$ 15.6 in laptop vs your actual and the quad core.
=328&cmp[]=126&cmp[]=1861]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=328&cmp[]=126&cmp[]=1861

and this vs a 800$ laptop.
=328&cmp[]=126&cmp[]=1947]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=328&cmp[]=126&cmp[]=1947

My advice, If you only look for a small boost and everthing else is fine, get the cpu and ram upgrade. otherwise, get a new laptop. For 1000$ you'll be mind blown by the performance gain.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »

I'm already maxed on RAM. The only thing I can hope to boost is the CPU. I've found the trip core and the quad core for under $100. I don't have cash lying around for a new machine. I'm looking at a career change this summer so shelling out that kind of cash is out of the question.

BTW, your links don't work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:47:36 PM by CrackerTeg » Logged

alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »

So I was looking for more clarification than just a picture that said "Power!"

Since you already have 8GB of RAM and that is the stated max, you're not going to see much gain there, even if you could swap in a some faster RAM.

What I was trying to ask with my previous question is:

In what situation are you being CPU bound?  Games?  Other app that is CPU intensive?

I'm just curious if you would benefit from faster IOPS rather than a new CPU; but if you are CPU bound and not IO bound, then the CPU would be your best bet for an upgrade.

- Mark
Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 02, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »

too bad it doesn't work, but you still can compare your cpu ratings at this site.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Pascal

Pascal pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »

you have to take a cpu with very similar power consumption or make sure your power supply is powerful enough to go higher

Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012