Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 03:25:00 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why Plug and Play HID are Illegal with govt test  (Read 2569 times)
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44158-HID-plug-n-play-fails-govt-test&p=457288#post457288

Just read it & all credit goes to McCrew

HID plug n play fails govt test
Many people challenge the concept that HID bulbs in Halogen headlamps are 'bad' lighting.
This thread was inspired by another thread. So with help from Markus, I went to a site:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

That had a GREAT explination on why HID bulbs in a Halogen designed lamp are wrong.

1. It is importantant to understand that headlamps are designed to meet govt standards.
each manufacturer goes after those standards in their own way.
they use:
Halogen bulb w/ reflector lamps
Halogen bulb w/ projector lamps
HID bulb w/ reflector lamps
HID bulb w/ projector lamps
Each one is designed with the exact type of bulb and can't be swapped back and forth. These designs are computer generated based on the the exact bulb.
here is a generic example of a projector lamp:

2. HID and Halogen are two completely different light sources.
A hid bulb has 2 hot spots at each end of the light.
a halogen bulb only was one.
since the hot spots are in different locations and generate light completely different, an hid bulb won't work in any halogen lamp (reflector or projector) because the light will hit the inside reflective bowl incorrectly. As Markus says "you can't defy physics!"

3. A commom event here at hidplanet.com is the picture with the clean cut off. While that is 1 way to evaluate light, it is not the standard that the lamps are designed to.
Safety, for the driver and other drivers is a major driving force in the design and bulb choose. Lumination in the proper places is also a major considerstion.
light is desgned to be in the correct places so your eyes don't get tired or fixated on a particular spot. There is also concern the the distance light fades properly.
I have taken the reports from the above site and created a condensed version (see repots at website for FULL disclosure)
This report is for:
US Dept of Tran.
Natl Hwy Traffic Safety Adm
Office of Vehicle Saftey Compliance
Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety Standard 108
Lamps, Reflective devices and assoc eq.

here is the test result. They tested a ORSRAM XENARC D2R 35w. in a halogen reflector lamp.
I have posted the correct halogen bulb results next to the PnP hid results:

THe hid name brand bulb failed in the halogen designed lamp. At some points the light is 20 times too bright!

Here is the color chart of the failed bulb:

(tell me your camera sees all that!!!........ i'm just sayin..........)

Here is another test result from the same web page:

These charts make it very easy to see why hid in any halogen designed lamp is just wrong.
the light is all over the place.

Hopefully, these helps explain that 'yes, there is a science behind the design of headlamps.
And just because the base of the hid fits in the base of the halogen designed lamp, doesnt mean it works correctly.

Light's effect everyone else on the road. They are designed not to create burn spots in the retnia of the other driver. When putting an HID in the halogen lamp you are effecting the safety of the other drivers.

The fact is that any modification of headlamps is illegal. And for pretty good reason. The only safe (and illegal) modification is with a complete projector housing 'properly installed'.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:22:04 PM by thisaznboi88 » Logged

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »

You should try and quote and transfer the info here.  The pics may be hard to transfer.  I've also moved it to the "lighting" forum since that's more appropriate.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »

Ill do it tonight. That thread got really long really fast.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012