Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 07:30:05 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [FYI] Proper Torqueing of lugnuts  (Read 7492 times)
Mr Eazy

Reputation Power: 8
Mr Eazy pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:44:45 PM »

While I was doing some research on brakes/rotors/pads I found out that some rotors get warped because of overtighening of the nuts.

So for those that don't know, cause I never knew: Honda recommends 80 ft lbs of torque for our wheels.

Arie
2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »

I always knew there was a torque spec, but never heard of over tightened lug nuts causing rotor warpage. I guess my "German" torque spec of "gudenteit" isn't good enough. Though I will say my rotors aren't warped either.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »

I looked this up when I first starting messing with taking my wheels on and off cuz I was scared I wouldn't put em on tight enough and they would fall off. LOL!!! Main reason for purchasing my tq wrench.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:33:36 PM »

This made me realize that I need a torque wrench now more than ever.  I've been torquing a lot of stuff to güdéntïght specs.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

I just bought a Torque Wrench for my spring install project and its awesome. It's a Kobalt from Lowes with a lifetime warranty. I torqued my lugs to 80:)

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
JC04accord

Reputation Power: 1
JC04accord pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »

I use the skippy method which is saying click click out loud.  Works wonders.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:54:56 PM »

That sounds very similar to gudenteit specs.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:34:37 AM »

Shop torque wrenches FTW! Snap On torque wrenches to be exact. All Honda models require 80 ft lbs of torque except the new Odyssey. Try torquing an Enzo Ferrari or Porsche Carrera GT. Both cars require 200+ ft lbs of torque.
Mr Eazy

Reputation Power: 8
Mr Eazy pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:27:01 AM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Shop torque wrenches FTW! Snap On torque wrenches to be exact. All Honda models require 80 ft lbs of torque except the new Odyssey. Try torquing an Enzo Ferrari or Porsche Carrera GT. Both cars require 200+ ft lbs of torque.

200+ ft lbs. HOLY SHIT!!!

What do you guys think: should I change the name of this topic to something like proper torquing. And with the input of fellow members, I list the torque #'s for major diy jobs? Suspension, intake, headlights, bumper etc...

Arie
2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 07:00:01 AM »

A friend of mine is going through thick and thin because of a tire that needs to be replaced on his Odyssey.  It has run flats and no local tire shop could do the work.  They are saying that they a special machine to remove the tire.

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »

Quote from: "Mr Eazy"
What do you guys think: should I change the name of this topic to something like proper torquing. And with the input of fellow members, I list the torque #'s for major diy jobs? Suspension, intake, headlights, bumper etc...
I'd say yes to both, but it looks like you already fixed the topic title. :P Go ahead with the others, though!

16lbs for the intake manifold, there's my input from what I've found! lol

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »

Quote from: "ibcnunv"
A friend of mine is going through thick and thin because of a tire that needs to be replaced on his Odyssey.  It has run flats and no local tire shop could do the work.  They are saying that they a special machine to remove the tire.

Yep my dealership went through that last year when we bought an Odyssey fromt the auction that needed tires. They're called Pax tires and we paid about $2K to get 4 brand new ones and mount and balance. As far as I know only Honda has the machine but other shops may have it but they would rarely use it so it wouldn't be worth their while compared to Honda.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »

i finally looked this up after experiencing hell on earth last winter with my old wheel locks (stripped locks and a broken key... high five) - i wanted to torque them properly so i got a torque wrench.  im surprised too just how little 80 ft lbs feels.

J u s t i n
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »

Quote from: "Abailey4"
Quote from: "ibcnunv"

Yep my dealership went through that last year when we bought an Odyssey fromt the auction that needed tires. They're called Pax tires and we paid about $2K to get 4 brand new ones and mount and balance. As far as I know only Honda has the machine but other shops may have it but they would rarely use it so it wouldn't be worth their while compared to Honda.

The PAX tires are "THE" worse tires ever made by Michelins, and it is the worse thing Honda had to move to. Why couldn't they just use standard RFT. Yes, only Honda and specialty tire shops has this machine. You can't even put alignment sensors on them.

Arie, so this is the Suspension and Handling subforum, you can list torque specs for wheels and suspension parts. You can start another torque spec thread in their respective subforums for other applications. IE: Intake manifold bolts, head bolts, exhaust manifold bolt, and so on.
MyNameIsThien

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 01:37:31 AM »

Quote from: "v6sicksspeed"
i finally looked this up after experiencing hell on earth last winter with my old wheel locks (stripped locks and a broken key... high five) - i wanted to torque them properly so i got a torque wrench.  im surprised too just how little 80 ft lbs feels.

You think how little 80 ft lbs is. A Subaru STi only calls for 75 ft lbs of torque for the wheels. Some smaller cars like for an example a Chevrolet Tracker and or any Geo only calls for like 65 ft lbs of torque.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012