Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:57:08 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help on Deciding for New Brakes  (Read 7019 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »

Well, basically the OEM brakes I have now SUCK. I completely loathe them, lol. The front left is pulsating like crazy, they're the most sticky brakes I've ever used (i tap lightly on the brake pedal, nothing happens, so I push down another half inch and they throw me into the windshield), and I just recently got into a close encounter when I had to go from 60 to about 10, and even when I pushed all the way down when ABS kicked in, my car would still want to go forward, and I could hear clinging noises like metal on metal (not sure if this is brake-related). All four brakes are OEM and have roughly 41k miles on them. My grandfather who owned the car before overheated the brakes while going down a mountain, so that caused the annoying pulsating.

Anyways, I am asking the ECM community's advice on what kind of aftermarket brakes I should get, and whether or not I should go full blown (calipers and everything). I don't want to spend millions on my brakes, but on the same token I want something that will give me peace of mind when I want to brake.

I have absolutely no knowledge on different brake brands, so I am completely new to all of this, lol. My plan is to buy everything needed myself, then take it all to a shop and have them install it.

wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »

I cannot say which brakes are good, but there is a thread that has reviews on many different brands and set-ups. That may give you an idea on what you may want. I am not sure if there are BBK listed there or not.

About the install, they will rape you, especially if you dont want to buy them there. Buy a haynes manual for your car and do the brakes yourself.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:52 PM »

After reading that thread, I think the best ones to get for my budget would be the EBC Ultimaxx rotors, and the green/red stuff pads. I've still gotta figure out the difference between the green stuff and the red stuff, lol. Time to Google away!

Is there anything that I need besides rotors and pads? Or would that end up putting me in the the high dollar range?

Edit: Ok, Green Stuff is for cars under 200 BHP, and Red Stuff is for cars over 200 BHP. So I guess I'd be getting the Green Stuff then.

wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:56:06 PM »

I would suggest that you bleed your brakes, so brake fluid.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »

1st thing is as wtcii said search the forum before making a new post asking a question that has already been answered. The Pad and rotor combination that you are talking about switching to should provide a great deal better performance than the stock set up. Just insure that you follow the break in procedure on the parts that you purchase to the best of your ability. Also, I agree that you should bleed your brakes, and attempt to do the install yourself. It' s not that difficult a task, and a good way to begin learning how to perform your on maintainence.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 04:09:00 PM by lavalleemike » Logged
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

Sorry about that. I just needed somewhere to vent my frustration with my OEM brakes, lol. I'll make sure to search more next time. But thanks on the info!

InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »

Before you bleed ya brakes, wont hurt to check ya brake lines as well to make sure the rubbers arent cracked or starting to rot.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:07:20 PM »

I haven't gotten around to removing my tires and checking the status of my brake pads and rotors, but let's just say the OEM rotors are still fine. Would it be ok to just get the Greenstuff, or should I just get the Blackstuff since I won't be having the EBC Ultimaxx rotors to compliment the Greenstuff pads?

I found all the stuff I need at autopartswarehouse.com;the total came out to being $408 with free shipping. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. If I got just the Blackstuff/Greenstuff pads alone, would I still see an improvement in stopping power?

wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »

I would replace your rotors whether or not they are "ok". Mine were turned at the lexus dealership where it was purchased at 47K miles. It is at 63K now and they suck. Buy something like a Bremo blank at tire rack.

Bill C.
SECM member
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »

Awesome, I found the Brembo rotor you were talking about. A lot cheaper than the EBC Ultimaxx ones, too! Like $100 less, lol. Although, I don't see the Brembo rotors for the rears. Hmm...

AV6NHBP6SPD

AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »

id recomend at least get new brake pads and rotors and maybe stainless steel lines, that will give you great results,

whatever you do dont get drilled or dimpled rotors. no benefit for you

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »

If your rotors arent that bad, you can always get em cut if they're still within thickness specifications. I had mine cut at Strauss for like 26 bucks, but was told that was the last time I can get em cut. Installed with the EBC Greenstuff and havent had any problems yet.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »

pepboys ceramic breaks are also decent. I have them on my car and stopping power is swt and best of all no more shudders

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »

i use some auto zone ones for the front with duralast gold pads and duralast gold for the rear as well but i use some vented rear rotors from ProPartsUSA and has worked find for me better then stock but then again am on a budget

thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 01:03:42 AM »

yeah i was on a budget too. 40 bucks is all good compared to a 100 for the hawk hps

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012