Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 08:09:02 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 144 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SECM Squad  (Read 449955 times)
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: July 21, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »

My favorite part of Nashville is the Green Hills area. That's where my grandparents live and I love it. If you go about 15 minutes down the road you are in Franklin, TN which is in Williamson county. Green Hill's is in Davidson county, taxes are about double here. My Uncle used to live in Detroit but had a condo in Franklin and it was pretty nice. I would check that out. Another option if you don't mind about a 30 minute commute is Colombia. It should be much cheaper than Nashville. When my Dad first got out of College he lived in an Apartment complex in Nashville. I am having trouble remembering what it was called but we went by not too long ago and they didn't look too bad. They have car washing bays. I'll try to figure that out. Brentwood is another good area to look at. Like Franklin, it is in Williamson county.

Green Hills and Franklin/Cool Springs/Brentwood areas are some of the most expensive areas to live in Middle Tennessee.  Avoid Antioch unless you want to be mugged or involved in a drive by shooting. 

Tim, my answer depends on a few factors.  1. How long of a commute is acceptable.  2. What side of town will you work?  Rutherford county (Murfreesboro, Smyrna, LaVergne) offer low cost of living, extreme growth in residential and commercial volume, and it's a college area so lots of apartments/homes around.   However, its a 30 min commute to downtown N'ville.  Other options would be Donelson/ Mt. Juliet to the east, Goodletsville/Madison to the north.  Basically avoid south by south west from a cost perspective.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1996 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »

Here's what it comes down to.  The commute is insignificant.  The job I'm trying to get would have me traveling to retail locations in whatever my region would be 4 days out of the week.  The only office I would have to commute to would be at home.  I do not know what the region is, but when I interviewed for the job in San Antonio, it was literally from Waco down to Brownsville, excluding Houston.  I'm not sure how broad of an area this Nashville job would cover, but I'm assuming that Nashville is just a central location that would be the best starting point.

As far as what I'm looking for in a place, here's my laundry list.  I'd like to keep costs low, but compared to living in MA, I'm sure you'd be appalled at what what my rent is right now.  I'd like to rent a house instead of living in an apartment.  I'd prefer that house have at least a 2 car garage where I can work on my car and other people's cars.  Of course, the final and most obvious requirement is to live in a safe area.  I don't want to fear coming home or worry about having my shit stolen. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 21, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »

If I were you I would try to find an older home in either Franklin or Brentwood. I can't really recommend anything else because Green Hills/Franklin/Brentwood are the only areas I have ever been in. I know those are both cheaper than green hills. I'm sure either one of those will be cheaper than what you pay now.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

DV8mAn pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 21, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »

Good to know Tim, that should broaden the list of potential targets.  2 car garages are very common, so that shouldn't be an issue.  I haven't rented in over 10 yrs but I bet the market is much cheaper down here.  I'd suggest you start your search in these areas:

Murfreesboro (I'm biased cause I live here, but it's just like Franklin with a much lower cost of living)
Smyrna
Dickson
Franklin
Hendersonville
Mt Juliet
Spring Hill (high housing inventory since Saturn plant shutdown)
Columbia is farther south but still middle TN

And there's lots of small towns, too many to list.....
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1999 on: July 21, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »

Thanks for the list Jason.  I've looked around those areas, but haven't found anything that I think is too good to be true yet.  If this job comes through, I'm probably going to be asking for your help Jason.  If big Mike is around, I'm sure I'll be bugging him too.  Right now, I'm going to wait until I know I have the job, then figure out where to go from there. 

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

DV8mAn pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:23 PM »

No problem, let me know if I can help.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2001 on: July 21, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

Thanks.  At this point, I'm going to wait until I hear about the job.  If I get it, I'll be PMing you about places to live and other pointless questions like whether I have to get my car inspected for emissions and all that other crap.  I want to make sure my car can be legal, otherwise I'll leave it registered in MI.

Tim
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

DV8mAn pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:16 PM »

No car inspections.  Depending on which county you live, you need an emission test which consists of plugging a comp into your car to measure a few things.  I passed mine with flying colors and I have an IM, cat back and CAI on it.  Doubt it will be a problem.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2003 on: July 21, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »

Hmmmm.  They connect the computer to the OBDII port to check for a codes?  Don't forget, I have a little bit more than basic bolt ons.  I'm always worried about passing emissions since I consider my car to be mildly built.  I wonder where I would have to live to avoid any sort of emissions/OBDII testing. 

Tim
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

DV8mAn pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 22, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

Hmmmm.  They connect the computer to the OBDII port to check for a codes?  Don't forget, I have a little bit more than basic bolt ons.  I'm always worried about passing emissions since I consider my car to be mildly built.  I wonder where I would have to live to avoid any sort of emissions/OBDII testing. 
Correct, they check the OBDII port.  I'm not exactly sure what they are looking for but I've cleared my codes 10 minutes before emissions and passed before.  It varies county by county.  Most of middle TN counties have emission testing, but not all.  If you google it I'm sure you can find a list somewhere.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2005 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »

Ahhh.  As long as they plug into my OBDII port, I should be okay.  KPro has me covered.  I don't know if I would pass if they put a sniffer on my tail pipe.  I'd probably have to make a custom tune to lean out my a/f.

Tim
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2006 on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »

Alright guys.  I will be visiting Nashville for round 2 of my interviews in a few weeks.  This is looking a lot better than San Antonio.  From what I know, if I get the job, I'll be covering pretty much all of TN, Southern KY, Northern AL, and will get down to New Orleans a few times a year. 

Tim
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 01, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »

Nice!

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2008 on: August 01, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »

Finally some good news from Tim!!!
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2009 on: August 01, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »

Yeah.  I know that I'll be in Nashville for my interview on the 11th.  They're flying me out, and willing to put me up in a hotel for the interview.  I'm not sure about all the details yet, because I haven't booked the flight yet.  I'm guessing I'll have a better idea tomorrow after talking to HR about it.  Hopefully they don't mind me spending a little time out there, because I really want to spend a day in Nashville checking things out.

Tim
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 144 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012