Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:47:08 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so what Synthetic oil to use?  (Read 22967 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 02:51:56 PM »

I've been using M1 5W20 since I switched to synthetic.  I had to use Penzoil (synthetic something or other) 5W20 once when wally world didn't have any M1 5W20.  I may have to try out the 0W20 this summer.  I still have a 5 quart jug of 5W20 though.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
RTexasF

Reputation Power: 2
RTexasF pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:18 PM »

Subsequently everyone, including Mobil 1, switched to at least partial group III oils.

That is far from proven about Mobil 1. There is a huge amount of supposition and not one shred of proof. Don't tell me to read Bobistheoilguy, I'm member #409........been there a loooonnnggg time.

Mobil1 5W-30 is not full synthetic

Prove it! No one else has been able to. Rumors are just that until proven.

Rick, token old bastard.
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"
ok since i use amsoil and Paul and some other guys said that it would need to be changed more offten then 10K. what would be good replacement full synthetic oil?
i paid about $55 for oil and synthetic filter from Amsoil and that's with my 20% discount that i had

so whats good? i dont think mobile 1 is good

i guess still want to stay with 0W-30 from Pauls recommendation a while back

Even the Group lll Amsoils are holding up well past their 7500 mile guarantee........so ?  NO ONE except a lab can tell you how long you can run an oil in your car, there are too many variables to even consider that.  There are so many excellent used oil analysis' with Amsoil running 20K+ miles it will amaze you. Do yourself a favor and pay for a used oil analysis...........let SCIENCE give you the required information to make an informed decision. So and so says this and so and so says that is just crap, get some facts.

You think Mobil 1 is no good? Why? What proof do you have or are you going by what somebody said??? I used M1 0W20 in my Accord and had it analyzed at 8500 miles (2.4l not the 3.0l). The lab that tested it said to run it to 10K and recheck. At 10K the analysis showed it was still in good shape and run it to 12K. At 12k it wasn't shot but it was time to change. You're right, it's obviously no good  :roll:

The point of my babble here is use your head and science to determine which oil works best in your car and when to change it. "My Buddy knows about oil" just don't cut it. For a complete no brainer use any name brand 5W20 and change it every 5K along with a new filter and forget about it. The engine will last longer than you'll want the car.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:04:22 PM by RTexasF » Logged

Rick, token old bastard.
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »

Rick the fossil has spoken.
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 07:47:27 PM »

I thought it time for some common sense to be spoken concerning the oil thing. Many of the statements are correct and well said, others are not.

Rick, token old bastard.
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 12:03:22 AM »

Quote from: "RTexasF"
Subsequently everyone, including Mobil 1, switched to at least partial group III oils.

That is far from proven about Mobil 1. There is a huge amount of supposition and not one shred of proof. Don't tell me to read Bobistheoilguy, I'm member #409........been there a loooonnnggg time.

Mobil1 5W-30 is not full synthetic

Prove it! No one else has been able to. Rumors are just that until proven.

Actually, conserning mobil one, there's evidnece they use some group III oil, including the way the changed the wording on thier website from stating that only grp IV + oils were used, to stating that it includes grp IV oils.  We all know they use quite a bit of it in thier formulation (witness how mobil 1 disappered from shelves when their PAO plant shut down), but to assume they use only grp IV+ because they used to is being nieve.  Mobil 1 oils (esp 5w30) have quite high wear numbers, but nobody seems to know if this is from higher wear or from superior cleaning.  Given the 4x better and 8x better than mobil ads out lately, it may be higher wear.  That being said, mobil 1 is a very good oil and no-one has to worry about using it. Until mobil 1 comes out and states they do or don't use some grp III, we can't prove they do or don't, but a bit of common sense and research will indicuate that they have switched to grp III partly, with at least some of their product line.  If they only used PAO's you'd think they'd state it on there website (they used to) and public relations material, but they don't anymore.

Of course, before people get the wrong idea, using a bit of group III doesn't mean that it's a poorer oil.  It may have enhanced some properies of the oil(burn-off, cost, etc), while keeping the best ones of a pure PAO oil.

As to say mobil 1 is not full synthetic, I agree, Prove it.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 09:54:50 AM »

I agree with all said and they may very well have changed the formulation but it is yet unproven. One of the finest synthetics available is Schaeffers which is a group lll oil and they are a blend!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:12:45 PM by RTexasF » Logged

Rick, token old bastard.
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »

From the oil tests I have read, M1 oils are quite good and will easily last 7,000 miles.
RTexasF

RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »

Agreed, they certainly did for me.

Rick, token old bastard.
LiquidX

Reputation Power: 1
LiquidX pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »

0W20 from M1 FTMFW!!!!

rjp6262

rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

what do you all think about Royal Purple motor oil?  i've been using it and i like it, but don't know if i can justify buying it for so much.
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »

Quote from: "rjp6262"
what do you all think about Royal Purple motor oil?  i've been using it and i like it, but don't know if i can justify buying it for so much.

i heard its not as good. it doesnt last long,

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
rjp6262

rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »

is it true that once you go to a synthetic oil, you can't go back to a regular oil?
rocketstarter

Reputation Power: 3
rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »

I do RP every 5k. I'll do a UOA in about 2k

“I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup.”

S60R NO MO

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2 K
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 02:10:21 PM »

whatever's on sale.  change after 5K miles, no worries.
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012