Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:48:23 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: **Good Tire Thread**  (Read 59260 times)
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »

Quote from: "MyNameIsThien"
Yes, it may have gotten good reviews, but in the long run, those tires do not last long. They have a tendicy to wear unevenly, and it wears down fast. Sure it may grip, but is it really worth it lasting only 10k miles.

my dad has them on his camry, 215/55/17, and they have been great. I think that he has about 8K miles on the car so far and they have about 80% of their tread left. He drives very conservatively though.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
evo6011

Reputation Power: 0
evo6011 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 10:15:47 PM »

So all and all I need some in 235/45/18......what would be the best all season to get? I've been really
checking into Falken and BFG but can't decide.
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »

Yes, it may have gotten good reviews, but in the long run, those tires do not last long. They have a tendicy to wear unevenly, and it wears down fast. Sure it may grip, but is it really worth it lasting only 10k miles.

Well, I cannot personally disagree with any of your claims.  I've never owned this tire from new to old...but the used ones I got with my TL rims all have uneven tread wear....sides wearing out faster than middle...not sure if that is from under inflation (the tires came with nails in them) or because the soft side-walls.  

You've seen these tires wear out in 10k miles? Sheesh...thats horrible for a tire with a 400 tread wear.
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »

Quote from: "evo6011"
So all and all I need some in 235/45/18......what would be the best all season to get? I've been really
checking into Falken and BFG but can't decide.

You would be better off going with a 235/40/18. There are not too many options in a 235/45/18 size....check out the Falken Ze-912 and the BFG gForce SuperSport AS
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »

Quote from: "clapton924"

Well, I cannot personally disagree with any of your claims.  I've never owned this tire from new to old...but the used ones I got with my TL rims all have uneven tread wear....sides wearing out faster than middle...not sure if that is from under inflation (the tires came with nails in them) or because the soft side-walls.  

You've seen these tires wear out in 10k miles? Sheesh...thats horrible for a tire with a 400 tread wear.

I thought the UTQG was 220.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »

I am looking for a tire between 100-150$ per tire.. preferrable from tire rack.

Which would you reccomend in this range for 225/45/R18?

Should I be looking into 235/40/R18       this is to go on a 18x7.5 wheel!

My important considerations is that the tire must last 3 years. If it is a summer tire that would something like 45000km or 30000 miles at a minimum.

I don't drive spirited, I am a pretty relaxed driver but every now and then like to have a little fun. I don't drive so fast also. I drive daily 160km when I am going to school mostly highway. We do have not so friendly roads with respect to the pot holes or conditions.

I will probably just throw on my old wheels as my winters.

The three tires that stuck out to me were Bridgestone RE760, Yokohama Sdrive, Kuhmo SPT... I am just not sure whether these will fit my conditions with respect to the treadlife

A S I M O
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2009, 01:27:44 AM »

Quote from: "wtcii"

Nope. The ContiExtremeContact has a UTQG rating of 400 A A
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2009, 01:51:47 AM »

Quote from: "Asim"
I am looking for a tire between 100-150$ per tire.. preferrable from tire rack.

Which would you reccomend in this range for 225/45/R18?

Should I be looking into 235/40/R18       this is to go on a 18x7.5 wheel!

My important considerations is that the tire must last 3 years. If it is a summer tire that would something like 45000km or 30000 miles at a minimum.

I don't drive spirited, I am a pretty relaxed driver but every now and then like to have a little fun. I don't drive so fast also. I drive daily 160km when I am going to school mostly highway. We do have not so friendly roads with respect to the pot holes or conditions.

I will probably just throw on my old wheels as my winters.

The three tires that stuck out to me were Bridgestone RE760, Yokohama Sdrive, Kuhmo SPT... I am just not sure whether these will fit my conditions with respect to the treadlife

Either the 225 or 235 tire should be fine...this is mostly personal preference.  If treadwear is extremely important to you, you may want to consider a UHP All-Season tire.  In general, a true summer tire will wear more quickly than a AS tire but provide better dry traction.  But...considering you are a somewhat conservative driver you should be able to get close to 30K miles out of most summer tires with a wear rating over 300.

The Bridgestone 760, Yoko S.Drive, Kumho SPT, and BFG gforce sport are all good choices...and I think are all under $150 each.
rocketstarter

Reputation Power: 3
rocketstarter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 08:11:49 AM »

Yoko S-Drive  over BFG G-Force Sports any day. better dry and especially wet traction, AMAZING wear.

“I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup.”

S60R NO MO

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 2 K
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 08:20:28 AM »

Quote from: "wtcii"

Nope. The ContiExtremeContact has a UTQG rating of 400 A A

Oh, I got confused. The post directly above Thien's post mentions Toyo Proxes, that's what i was talking about. I have no clue about continentals.

Bill C.
SECM member
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »

Well, I gotta get new tires soon (42k on stock Michelins), and after reading this topic I think I'm going to get the Yokohama S-Drives. Are the stock tires really that shitty? lol

I would have prefered to get new rims then get new tires, but I don't think that's going to happen. So for now, I'm stuck with my EX rims.

Quote from: "rocketstarter"
Yoko S-Drives. very predictable at limit in dry and wet conditions. wear excellent and a rather quiet for a ultra high performance summer tire

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... el=S.drive

225/55-16 on the stock EX wheels are plenty for me on the street. Excellent value if you ask me

I may do what he did. ^

clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2009, 02:24:36 AM »

No doubt the Yoko S.Drives are a good summer tire.  Might want to consider a 215/55 tire...a 225 on a 6.5" rim might be kinda squishy.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2009, 07:39:16 AM »

What do you mean by squishy?

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »

Jeff, yes the OEM tires are that shitty. That's what i currently have on my wheels (bought them with the tires mounted already). I swear, I slide all over the place whenever it rains and they howl like a motherfucker when I take highway on/offramps at any speed above 30. My old shitty Fuzions on my steelies didn't do that. As soon as I have some extra coin, I'm getting rid of the Michelins.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »

Heh, yeah, during the time span of my ownership of the car, I've hydroplaned about 4-5 times, and I wasn't even doing anything rigorous. One time I was at a stoplight, the light turned green, I LIGHTLY pressed the pedal, like just enough to barely move the car, and the tires started spinning in place, and I was slowly moving to the right lane. So I let off the gas then re-applied even lighter, and the tires STILL spun!

Also, my parents said that getting a wider tire will kill my gas mileage. How much would I suffer if I went from the stock 205/60/16 to a 225/55/16?

Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012