Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:35:40 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Post up your valve covers  (Read 24119 times)
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Quote from: "ROLO"
I want to do mine OEM paint since I got the cans.. Billy what you think I should spray paint it and call it a day? or get prof powdercoated?

You can't use OEM paint to do the valve cover. You need High Temperature paint! Paint it yourself dude save the $$$. It's really easy to do. Just make sure you have a new gasket set handy when you do it though. You can oreder it here.

Quote from: "Jeff"
Hmmm, I wonder how my car would look if I painted my valve cover black... If you haven't already noticed from the black IM and intake, I like black, lol.

UMmm that will be tooOo much black going on. You need a color to contrast what you have already painted black I think! What's your second favorite color?Huh? Maybe go with a gold wrinkle finish..... just my 0.02!!!

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 10:50:30 PM »

Quote from: "CrazyCreashunz"

Hey Billy, what's the brand of this spray paint cuz I could never find an orange color in stock and did you prime it before painting or just paint it just like that after sanding of course? I'm looking for a metallic orange, something close to Ksport color.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"
Hey Billy, what's the brand of this spray paint cuz I could never find an orange color in stock and did you prime it before painting or just paint it just like that after sanding of course? I'm looking for a metallic orange, something close to Ksport color.
Don't remember the brand off hand but I got it at autozone. Next time I go I will text you the correct info unless I still might have the can in my basement. I will check tomorrow for ya dude!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:09:32 AM by CrazyCreashunz » Logged

ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Your all missing two cylinders?

I'm still looking for mine...  :cry:

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
ROLO

Reputation Power: 8
ROLO pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

I want to do mine OEM paint since I got the cans.. Billy what you think I should spray paint it and call it a day? or get prof powdercoated?

You can't use OEM paint to do the valve cover. You need High Temperature paint! Paint it yourself dude save the $$$. It's really easy to do. Just make sure you have a new gasket set handy when you do it though. You can oreder it here.

What if I sand it down, use OEM Paint and then get High Temperature Resistant Clear Coat?
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 10:54:02 AM »

I don't think that will work because the heat comes from the inside. The clear would protect it from external heat.
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:56 AM »

^ I was thinking the same thing. Maybe some high temp primer and then OEM paint would work. That's what my body shop did for my brake calipers about a year ago and they're still picture perfect.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »

these look awesome - definitely need to do this at some point.
anybody have some tips, pointers and basic steps that have done this before? - billy those came out great.  love the colors.

J u s t i n
InFuMoUs

InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:23:40 AM »

Don't remember the brand off hand but I got it at autozone. Next time I go I will text you the correct info unless I still might have the can in my basement. I will check tomorrow for ya dude!

Thanks man. Sometimes the one 4 blocks from me never has a full stock of all the colors. I would have to try a different Autozone next time.

Quote from: "Abailey4"
^ I was thinking the same thing. Maybe some high temp primer and then OEM paint would work. That's what my body shop did for my brake calipers about a year ago and they're still picture perfect.

I dont think they make high temp primer but I could be wrong about that. I know I havent seen any. Maybe he could use a high temp light gray color as a substitute for the primer then put the OEM color over that. That's what they probably did.

EliteCM Profile

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 11:38:24 AM »

What if I sand it down, use OEM Paint and then get High Temperature Resistant Clear Coat?

That might work but I would probably use a High Temperature light color (gray) first then use your OEM paint then use the High Temperature clear coat...

Quote from: "v6sicksspeed"
anybody have some tips, pointers and basic steps that have done this before? - billy those came out great.  love the colors.

Thanks man!

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I don't think that will work because the heat comes from the inside. The clear would protect it from external heat.

+1 Exactly!

I dont think they make high temp primer but I could be wrong about that. I know I havent seen any. Maybe he could use a high temp light gray color as a substitute for the primer then put the OEM color over that. That's what they probably did.

+1

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »

+1

VHT makes some or this place is calling it primer.

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=213192

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 12:50:01 PM »

Quote from: "v6sicksspeed"

First step would be to buy the products first such as:
paint stripper
Tools to remove the paint (SCRAPER)
Gloves that can resist the paint stripper because it burns if left on the hand for a while
Steel brushes(to get to the small areas)
Heat resistant Primer
Heat resistant Paint
Heat Gun(i used it for my wrinkle paint cause no way i was putting that in the oven)
Painters Tape
Xacto blades

1.First step would be to apply the paint stripper to the cover because that paint is really on there
   then let is set for a while until you see the paint start to get mushy

2.Use the srapers and the brushes to manually strip the paint.

You will have to repeat the above two steps to get the paint all off

3. Next you will have to clean the manifold off with water and soap (i used degreaser) to get all the paint and paint stripper residue off

4. Let it dry

5. Apply the painters tape on the places that you dont want painted and cut the excess off with the xacto blade

6.Now we are ready for the Primer. I only applied one coat of primer then i let it sit for 10min  

7. I then applied 3 coats of the wrinkle paint. Between each coat you must use the heat gun to dry it for an minute and then i let it sit for another 10 mins

You could bake your Valve cover but who really wants there next meal tasting like paint

Wrinkle paint from VHT only come in Red and Black but i read that you can apply any color you wnt over it and still have the wrinkl affect

Hope this helps

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »

Just to give you guys some more idea's... got these from www.K20A.org

so have fun with it but please don't go over board!

Guys also check out this thread on DIY on painting your own K series valve cover

InFuMoUs

InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 02:54:30 AM »

Quote from: "Abailey4"
VHT makes some or this place is calling it primer.

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=213192

Looks like they do make high temp primer, but you could be right and they are just calling it that. Who knows, but this would work for those who want to use OEM paint as the base coat.

Ya shows us pics of valve covers like that and then tell us not to OD  :roll:

EliteCM Profile

CrazyCreashunz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

Ya shows us pics of valve covers like that and then tell us not to OD  :roll:

Hey... I have seen other one's that I didn't post up. Im just giving some nice ideas... LOL

Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012