Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 12:45:58 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burning Coolant under Hard Acceleration & High Speeds  (Read 4687 times)
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »

Well, ever since I bought the car I've had a slightly strange coolant smell under hard acceleration and at high speeds. Smells comes in through the vents while I driving and it's sort of a sweet smell, so I'm assuming it's the coolant. It must be minimal though because I've only added maybe 4 ounces of coolant over 1.5 years (it went down from about halfway up to max down to the min).

If I walk to my exhaust is sort of smells like a hint of coolant so I believe it's being burnt.

Hard Acceleration = 3/4 throttle to WOT - it will start smelling a few seconds after I'm punching it until about 15-20 seconds after I've stopped accelerating.

High speeds = even if I cruise to about 90-100mph the smell comes around but definitely less noticeable than under hard acceleration.

Motor is stock.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Is it something I should be worried about?

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »

Its possible your head gasket has a crack in it and the heat expansion is allowing coolant into your cylinders. its not enough to cause hydrolock (obviously) but could result in a catastrophic failure if not checked into. If I'm not mistaken, a compression test would help in diagnosing it. How many miles are on the car Eric?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »

Its possible your head gasket has a crack in it and the heat expansion is allowing coolant into your cylinders. its not enough to cause hydrolock (obviously) but could result in a catastrophic failure if not checked into. If I'm not mistaken, a compression test would help in diagnosing it. How many miles are on the car Eric?

Only 64,000.

It's under warranty for next 2 years or 100k miles, so I want to get this checked out now, so I can take out the intake so they don't blame it and take it to the dealership and have them look into it.

Eric.
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »

so its done this since you've had it and its under warranty and you never took it to Honda??
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »

so its done this since you've had it and its under warranty and you never took it to Honda??

more pronounced now but its only motor/tranny warranty, so if its something with the cooling system i rather not pay $120 diagnostic fee if I can try something else.

Going to do a compression test and look around for leaks, then last resort is dealership.

Eric.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »

Take advantage of your warranty if you can.  If it's under warranty and they will diagnose it under warranty, don't waste time and get it done.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:41:31 AM »

Take advantage of your warranty if you can.  If it's under warranty and they will diagnose it under warranty, don't waste time and get it done.

but if the diagnosis has nothing to do with warranty they won't hesitate to charge me. I'm going to do a Blackstone Oil Analysis, that should tell me if I'm getting any coolant mixing with the oil.

Other things I've read up it could be is bad radiator or hoses, heater core, or condenser.

Eric.
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:18:05 PM »

Eric, check out the post I just updated.  Look in the same area that I saw today and let me know if you identified the problem.

http://elitecm.net/forums/index.php?topic=3199.0

CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

Eric, check out the post I just updated.  Look in the same area that I saw today and let me know if you identified the problem.

http://elitecm.net/forums/index.php?topic=3199.0

Haven't had a shot to poke around my engine bay but I will finally get a chance to do so for a bit tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find.

Eric.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »

Haven't had a shot to poke around my engine bay but I will finally get a chance to do so for a bit tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find.

Any updates?

CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 01:34:37 AM »

Any updates?

I looked in the same area you did but I have no leak there. I don't see any spots inside the engine bay. I'm sort of waiting another 2k miles so I can do my oil analysis and rule out gasket issues.

Eric.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »

OK.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: