Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 01:03:19 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adjusting Valves  (Read 4728 times)
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »

hey guys i need help on adjusting valves. Do i keep the factory spec for valve clearance since i have the Brian Crower set up or does it have to be a different spec.

I wont be attempting this. I will leave a certified tech do this but i want ot make sure that i give him the right info before he starts the job.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
Knocturnal84

Knocturnal84 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »

rom:    Dustin Spencer (knoc84@hotmail.com)

.006” on the intake and .008” on the exhaust.

Thank you,

Dustin Spencer
-------
Brian Crower, Inc.
161 So Marshall Ave
El Cajon CA 92020
P: 619-749-9018 - ext 101
F: 619-749-9128
http://www.runbc.com

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:44:48 PM »

Glad to see you went to the source to get your answer.  From what I know, you're one of the first people that is running those cams.  Contacting BC was the right move.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »

What he said. I've never done a valve adjustment so anything I would say wouldn't help. Whenever running aftermarket parts, it's best to go with that manufacturer's specs. Same goes with OEM. Go with OEM specs. Lesson to anyone that reads this thread.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »

When is it recommended to the adjustment? When things sound different or as per the manual

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »

The first answer I got about a valve adjustment was when they start making noise.  The second answer I got about a valve adjustment was at around 100k.  I guess it's whatever comes first.  When it comes to aftermarket cams, you should do the valve adjustment when you install them and then whenever the manufacturer says to re-adjust.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »

Good to know. I'm approaching 100k I guess I should look into getting this done. Thanks Tim

Knocturnal84

Knocturnal84 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »

The recommendation for the re adjustment from BrianCrower is 1000 miles after installation. Going to get this done Tomorrow.

Does anyone know the factory Spec for future reference and for other members that might be interested?

Thank you

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:32:49 PM »

I have the factory specs somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look.

Tim
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »

AllData says to "inspect" the valves and timing chain at 110k miles.  My inspection is whether or not I hear the valves ticking.  You adjust them when they start making noise.

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »

Quote from: "stirfriedferret"
AllData says to "inspect" the valves and timing chain at 110k miles.  My inspection is whether or not I hear the valves ticking.  You adjust them when they start making noise.

I wish I could hear what they aren't supposed to sound like, would it be REALLY noticable? Cuz I'm at 120K and havent looked into this yet but have been curious about it for a while now. I just dont want to go to the dealership and tell them to do it and my engine sound the exact same $$$ down the road.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »

you'll be able to notice it. my dads valves on his Z28 clicked on cold start ups and it was very noticeable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012