Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:15:01 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double Din Alpine IVA W505?  (Read 5003 times)
Korbin
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
Korbin pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2009, 02:04:57 AM »

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »

looks sweet but looks like a custom job

Korbin
Fucking Newb

Korbin pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 05:49:08 AM »

it is custom; its mine. I am not done with it yet.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »

You should give all the details about this.  It's not a bad idea, but it's not exactly the best set up since you've essentially used the h/u only as a screen since you've removed the DVD mech from it.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »

Can't wait to see it 100% complete.  It would be awesome to see the parts list so more people can get something like this working.  There have been several attempts to get this to work, but your the first to actually succeed.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
Korbin
Fucking Newb

Korbin pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 04:33:57 AM »

@Tim
Yeah, DVD mech is gone Sad; but you could theoretically install an AI Net'd DVD changer somewhere for cheap, and have a better system altogether.

@Sworkhard
Parts List:
Heated garage full of tools
SEM Black interior paint
Evercoat Fibertech
Fiberglass shaping utensils
Lots of sandpaper
Alpine IVA-W505
Electric Tape
Crimp Caps
Wiring Harness for IVA-W505
Clear indoor silicon

DUAL CLIMATE HU... havent even attempted it or looked into a single climate HU. (I have an LX)

The actual HU install requires no special parts, it rests vertically on top of the lower cubby, and the ribbon cable attaching the HU to the faceplate is ran through a hole dremeled into the A/C PCB (I just ripped the LCD off and then dremeled through the pins where the LCD was connected. Unwise; but I knew that it wouldn't likely affect air conditioning function.)

The major downside with this is that you can no longer read your AC details. I know the navi dash has an upper cluster that shows you current AC status, I thought about looking into that.

Overall it isn't that big of a deal, I can "feel" for what mode it is in. I rarely change modes anyway.

The lack of a DVD player is not too much of an inconvenience for me; I don't use optical media anymore anyway. You could quite easily attach a changer or a harddrive (what I do) to the HU as it is very flexible.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »

So, why didn't you just get something like a TME-M740BT and a VPA-B222?  You're glossing over the fact that you voided the warranty of the IVA-W505 by removing the screen from the DVD mech and buried it in your dash so you can't load a DVD or a access your navi unit unless you take your dash apart.  It may not be a "big deal" to you, but it's a HUGE shortcoming in your set up.  Don't claim you've done it "the right way" when you have disabled some key features and your head unit is no longer fully functional.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Korbin
Fucking Newb

Korbin pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »

I didnt go for the VehicleHub pro for the same reason most others don't go for it; the interface.

You lose two features: A single disk changer, and the navi-port access.
The navi-port access is great if you use a blackbird.

I am looking into the viability of accessing these two ports from above the HU, as it is mounted in there facing up (the changer/blackbird port) at a 90 degree angle to what it should be. Realistically, if you lift the top panel (with the air vents), the HU is right there. I wouldn't mind taking my setup a little further and adding a hinged mechanism and clean face to this.

"Right" way may be oversimplifying things; there will be no 'right' way for an upper dash mount unless someone redesigned an alternate PCB and dash panel for this vehicle. It is simply a near-completely working, upper-dash HU mount.

And even if someone designed an alternate PCB, there isn't enough room in this dash to mount an alpine, and certainly not a deeper pioneer. (My setup is actually mounted vertically.)

and nobody needs to know the warranty is voided Cheesy
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »

It's kind of like the uberpod<--- I think that's what it's called. I think that was supposed to have more functionality though.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »

Thanks Korbin,

I thought you had purchases a few special service cables from alpine (hence the request for the parts list) to make everything work, but it appears you only needed what the IVA-W505 came with.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »

Nicely done! I'd have to agree with Tim though...

Overall it isn't that big of a deal, I can "feel" for what mode it is in. I rarely change modes anyway.

The lack of a DVD player is not too much of an inconvenience for me; I don't use optical media anymore anyway. You could quite easily attach a changer or a harddrive (what I do) to the HU as it is very flexible.

It also seems like you maybe just rationalizing here... The sacrifices that you are making could have been avoided if you just put it in the lower cubby... :/

What made you choose this custom job over putting it in the lower cubby?

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »

Quote from: "Paulius005"
What made you choose this custom job over putting it in the lower cubby?
The first thing that would come to my mind would be that the higher position reduces eye strain from having to look down at the lower cubby instead of just snapping your eyes over at the higher point. But that's my opinion, not his. :P

Korbin
Fucking Newb

Korbin pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »

I just wanted to have it custom, have use of my bottom cubby, and not have two radios.

Stephen: Service cables arent produced for the part of the IVA-W505 that I wanted to extend, so I went with a direct mount instead; a bit trickier, but it works all the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012