Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:55:19 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oem hid look-a-like  (Read 7155 times)
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »

You can always modify the stepped cutoff in the Inspires from RHD to a flat, unstepped cutoff and then aim them properly.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
You can always modify the stepped cutoff in the Inspires from RHD to a flat, unstepped cutoff and then aim them properly.

yeah you can modify it but how many ppl who have inspires actualy did this? can i safely assume none?

is the step some kind of shield thing or its certain reflectors that do that like in our regular housing?

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Philly Steve

Reputation Power: 3
Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 08:52:04 PM »

I think Thien has done that Misha.

I will say that my dad had a CL with stock HIDs in reflectors back when no one had seen them before, and he got high-beamed like crazy in that car (until it became one of the thousands of CLs whose transmission had premature issues...twice). So I think Misha's theory is accurate. I have been blinded by HIDs in projectors and HIDs in stock housings alike.
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 10:32:16 PM »

I mean no offense to you Greg, nor am I calling you out in any way.  I'm just trying to provide information based on my experience and research, and help people do safe modifications for them and other drivers on the road.

No offense taken Tim. I respect your opinions.  I do not support people making unsafe modifications to their cars either.  I did not mean to hi-jack this thread either.

This is a very subjective topic....definetly deserves more thought and consideration.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »

ok so to stay on topic.... re-based bulbs are pretty expensive. is re-basing a d2r bulb difficult to do?

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »

Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"

yeah you can modify it but how many ppl who have inspires actualy did this? can i safely assume none?

is the step some kind of shield thing or its certain reflectors that do that like in our regular housing?

Actually, I met a guy that did this to his inspires a few years ago.  He was on v6p and g7a, but hasn't posted in a long time.  His screen name was arom, and lives up in Maine.  Anyway, he's the only guy that I know of that has modified the reflector to have a flat cutoff.

Of course any light will have some glare depending on how it's aimed and the road conditions (hilly or flat).  Since any retro doesn't utilize self leveling motors, they are at a disadvantage.  In Europe, they have very strict standards with HIDs.  All HIDs must use a self leveling motors and have some way of automatically washing the lenses, along with a few others that I can't remember off hand.

In the hierarchy of headlights go when it comes to HIDs and glare, it goes OEM projector HIDs with self leveling motors > HID retrofit > OEM reflector based HID > OEM halogen housing with HID bulbs.

I'll take pictures to show you guys the difference between OEM halogen bulbs, OEM halogen housings with HID bulbs, and a HID retrofit.  When you see all the hot spots and glare created by HIDs in OEM halogen housings, you will be surprised.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012