Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:59:43 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broke my braided lines!?!? :(  (Read 8748 times)
another_person
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
another_person pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:59:34 AM »

OMFG, worst Friday the 13th yet...I was stopped at a light and was holding down the brakes, and all of the sudden, no pressure...i'm like ok...thats odd...pump it a few times and still nothing. Luckily there was a parking lot near by, so I pulled in to have a look. I couldn't see any leaks on the d riverside, so I went around to the passenger side, it was raining earlier so it just looked like the wheel wells were wet, so I checked the master cylinder, and it was empty Sad I double checked the lines, and wiped them off and there was obviously brake fluid sprayed all over the passenger side wheel well. Upon closer inspection, the braids were all frayed and the tube was slit. Now I need to go find a new line Sad

alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »

That sucks..  You're lucky that you were at a stop light when this happened.  This happened on a friend's car, but he was on a mountain and lost brake pressure on a straight.  Next turn came up and he had no brake pressure.  Luckily, he got out of it with only a few scrapes, but his car ended up in a ditch and totaled.  He had SS braided brake lines also.

- Mark
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »

what brand SS lines?

would emergency brake work if this happens to front wheels? supposedly rears should be fine since front brake lines should be separate from rears

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »

That sucks man.  I'm glad nobody was hurt.  Hopefully you can get this taken care of soon.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »

wow friday the 13th sucks.. Don't worry I got pwned also... garage door scratch my bumper

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
another_person
Fucking Newb

another_person pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 01:47:51 AM »

it was the ss line that came with the wilwood bbk. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, every single auto parts store in the area was sold out of braided lines and I think I've tried every other place I can think of, so I'll probably order a new one from fastbrakes on monday. E-Brake was the only thing stopping my yesterday, but the beeping was really annoying, but i'll take beeping over crashing...

AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 01:50:29 AM »

get goodridge SS lines, still didnt put mine on

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »

damn that sucks. i think thats the reason i wont go with ss brake lines. you have to keep an eye on them. luckily your ok though and you didnt crash your car.

InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »

SS brake lines arent bad as you might think. I think it's how the Wilwood line was designed. I'm not sure if they've changed it, but the line arent made with the bracket attached to it to allow you to bolt it to the knuckle so when you mount the Wilwood lines it was exposed to the inner part of the wheel. Maybe that's what caused it to fray and split.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »

Sucks man, glad everyone else is OK. My incident wasn't that serious. I was on my way to NYC a few years back when the washer in the Master Cylinder went. So I had to pump it to get pressure. Made it to NYC and back.

Rich
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:26:31 AM »

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"
SS brake lines arent bad as you might think. I think it's how the Wilwood line was designed. I'm not sure if they've changed it, but the line arent made with the bracket attached to it to allow you to bolt it to the knuckle so when you mount the Wilwood lines it was exposed to the inner part of the wheel. Maybe that's what caused it to fray and split.

thats probably why.
my goodridge once have brackets just like oem once

Misha
another_person
Fucking Newb

another_person pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »

apparently, with the wilwood kit, you're suppose to rotate the bracket that holds the line to the car so that it moves it away from the wheels...I just talked to the guy at fastbrakes and he was like yea, you really need to rotate that so the line won't get near the wheels. I guess he should have put that in the directions...anyways, new lines on the way YAY Smiley $65 Sad booo

neoryan7

Reputation Power: 1
neoryan7 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »

Quote from: "another_person"
apparently, with the wilwood kit, you're suppose to rotate the bracket that holds the line to the car so that it moves it away from the wheels...I just talked to the guy at fastbrakes and he was like yea, you really need to rotate that so the line won't get near the wheels. I guess he should have put that in the directions...anyways, new lines on the way YAY Smiley $65 Sad booo

Good thing you weren't going downhill or something. I know SS lines are expensive. My Brembo BBK Goodridge line is 120 EACH Sad

Kind of OT but does Goodridge sell only rear SS in a package or do i have to buy all four?
another_person
Fucking Newb

another_person pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »

Quote from: "neoryan7"
Quote from: "another_person"

Good thing you weren't going downhill or something. I know SS lines are expensive. My Brembo BBK Goodridge line is 120 EACH Sad

Kind of OT but does Goodridge sell only rear SS in a package or do i have to buy all four?

So after my car was put back together...the new lines only lasted until the end of the year...and this time I was going down hill...atleast I only curbbed one wheel, but yea, bad. I have no idea why the lines would chose to fray and get slicked now. Its been so many months without any issues. But I guess its time for the bbk to come off and the oem's to go back on. I'll go bbk again later, but for now, I'll just go back to stock.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »

Who makes the lines?  Have you contacted them about this?  This is a pretty major safety issue and they could have a lawsuit on their hands.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012