Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 03:15:16 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To sell or not to sell...  (Read 9866 times)
Pandapocalypse

Reputation Power: 1
Pandapocalypse pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »

So I came across a beautiful 2004 wrx for sale the other day, one of my favorite cars.  57k mi, 1 owner, all stock etc. drives like a dream.  I'm a little frustrated at the lack of performance options available for accords, especially autos, and I'm really considering picking up the subie.  Only thing is that I only owe 5k on the accord and the wrx would bump it up to almost 10k.  If I keep the Accord I'm going to do full bolts and lower it and then...I don't really know because that seems to be it really except for crazy expensive custom turbos and such.  I'm kind of thinking out loud here, and I know the two cars are apples and oranges, but anyone have any thoughts, opinions that might be helpful?
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »

Sell and get the subie!!

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Pandapocalypse

Pandapocalypse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »

Thanks!  I honestly think that's the way I'm leaning.  They're just such sexy cars lol.
Accord Euro-R

Reputation Power: 5
Accord Euro-R pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »

I have thought about selling my Accord many times....but the reason I have kept it is one of the reasons you mention of selling: Lack of Mods.  Sounds counter-intuitive right?  While WRX's and STI's are sexy and amazing cars, I cannot tell you how many 16 year old DB's have tried to race me in their stock WRX. 

I have kept my Accord because of one thing: Originality.  Since it became my summer car, not joking EVERY time I take it out, someone will scream at me at a red light "What kind of car is that?! It looks amazing!"  WRX's seem to be a dime a dozen anymore.  Yes there are more parts available, and some of them are cheaper...but some are also just as expensive as a custom kit for an Accord would be. 

So it really depends on what you want.  If you want a street cruiser than looks good and is very rarely modded beyond rims and a drop, stick with Accord and go wild with it.  If you are looking for a track/autocross car, then grab the WRX...otherwise I would stay put.  Plus, Honda > Subaru when it comes to resale value.

Just my $.02

"Euro-R" Concept - USDM CM82
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »

fully agree with the last post, ive been in the same boat as far as wanting to sell so i would have more options. but it isnt as rewarding or uninque, and thats the point of modding in the first place, right?

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
Arielit0oo

Reputation Power: 12
Arielit0oo pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »

I agree with the last 2 posts. WRXs are common. When you see a nice sexy accord, its a beautiful view isnt it? It is rare to find on the streets unless youre in it. That is why I love mine, after I fix my front end and mod the looks up, itll be sex.

Wrxs are sexy and all but plenty out there, which takes away originality.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:50:59 AM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »

I would sell and get the subie if I could.  The only thing is I'm tired of car payments.  I'm a Christmas bonus away from owning my car outright.  I just want to be free like a peacock!

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:28:01 AM »

Also consider the increased maintenance and repair cost associated with a Turbo AWD vehicle. If your not going to get an STI its really not worth it. I'm not sure if your car is a V6 or 4 Cyl but, there are plenty of performance options that you could consider that would be similar to the 5k you would be adding to what you owe. If you car is a V6 you could look into having a J33 built and installed. If you’re a 4 cyl you could look into some of the supercharger kits designed for the Civics, RSX's, and TSX's of the world. At the end of the day your car will be a one off as opposed to buying the same turbo upgrade and exhaust that everyone else has on their WRX. If it’s a manual transmission your after depending on your engine you could swap in the 6 speed from the TL or TSX for again that same 5k your adding to your note by getting the WRX. At the end of the day it comes down to what you want to do. But, personally I would stick to the dependability and lower cost of ownership achieved with owning the Accord.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »

Subaru's are dependable.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

Yeah but, the cost of repair is greater than Honda. For Example Brakes all around on a Honda using regular parts = $195 same job on a Subaru = $215.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »

It's your call man.  Get whatever you want.  I'm sure I could get a car that's more powerful or something.  For some, they like the easy route.  Scooby's have tons of parts and it's fairly easy to make more power.  The problem is that built WRX's and STI's are a dime a dozen.  There are really only a handful of built Accords out there.  If you were really concerned about performance when you got your car, you probably would have gotten a MT in the first place.  At least you can do a AT to MT conversion.  If you have a J series, it can be built, and aftermarket support is slowly growing.  If you have a K series, there's a ton of aftermarket support.  What it all comes down to is what you want to do.  Are you up for a challenge to build something original, or do you just want to take it easy?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pandapocalypse

Pandapocalypse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »

Whoa, thanks for all the thoughts!  The originality concern is part of what's making it so hard believe me.  Yup my car is a 4cyl. AT, so just about the worst performance choice lol.  Thing was when I bought the car I needed a new vehicle immediately.  I wanted a 5spd. but the situation didn't allow waiting until one popped up.  Anyways thanks again, I'll have to mull it over some more.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »

With the $5k difference you're considering, you can do a MT swap and get a good start on building your motor.  I'm not sure why, but people still think the K doesn't have much potential.  I've driven an Accord with a completely stock k24 with a well built turbo kit and it made 350 hp/400 tq.  Another friend of mine with a built k20 in his DC5 makes 640 hp/400 tq.  While in stock form with an AT it's weak, but when you put some work into it, you can make good power.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »

Who cares if WRXs are common these days?  We drive Honda Accords for Christ's sake lol.  It doesn't get more common than that. 

If you think you'll have more fun in a WRX and enjoy driving it more than your Accord and have the money to switch, then the answer is pretty obvious. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012