Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:27:10 AM
Poll
Question: What should I do?
Part out, replace tranny and call it a day - 0 (0%)
Replace with reman Auto - 0 (0%)
Do a MT swap - 5 (100%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 6975 times)
neoryan7

Reputation Power: 1
neoryan7 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »

Is it still the aftermarket axles that you're using?  I've had some pretty bad luck with aftermarket axles.  Some brands are better than others of course, but OEM may be the best fit.  If it were me, I'd go with a MT swap if you're going to invest the money.  You've put a lot into your car to get where you are today.  Sure, the MT swap will be more expensive.  When you compare it to fixing your AT or replacing it with a remanufactured one, there shouldn't a ton of extra work to do with the MT swap.  I think it really comes down to the cost of parts.

Yeah they gave me a new after market one i dont know if its the same company though. The first aftermarket one I recieved >100miles ago  started to click after I made a u-turn. That U-turn really messed up the joint. I wasn't even giving it gas. I've made a couple of U-turns on this one and its been okay so far. Next time Im going to go with OEM or some beefier aftermarket ones, driveshaft shop maybe. Tim where did you source your 6MT from?

Well I had same problemo in the summer... ended up spending $3700 to replace auto trans and ecu. It all depends how much longer you wanna keep your ride, which by the way looks awesome. Either replace or do a manual swap is what I would do!

I Originally planned to keep it as long as I could, I was hoping to eventually turn it to my track car as it gets older. Its my first car and have grown attached to it. Its taught me a lot about how cars work and stuff.

Just some food for thought. I too wanted to do the MT swap, so i asked Skippy for some information. He said that to do a 5AT to 5MT swap, it would be about $5000 - $6000 for parts and labor, not including shipping. He also told me that a lot of custom fabrication needs to be done, and that it's no easy task. From the looks of your car though, you should have no problem doing the swap. In my case, i would be competely clueless on what to do. It's probably not worth it for me anyways when i could take that money and put it into trading for a better car, like a v6 accord.

I got a few quotes from some reputable garages in my area and it wasn't too bad. I was quoted about 2k for MT tranny and all install. I would have to get the other components myself but that should not be more than 1200 at least I'm hoping. I also got a quote for about 1200 for used auto and labor. Honda quoted me about 4k for a reman auto with install.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »

I got my tranny through Cham.  I don't know where he sourced it from though.  You may have some good luck going through car-part.com.  I know Skippy got his through car-part.com.  If you find anything out here on the East Coast or in New England, I'll be glad to help you out and pick it up and ship it for you.  As far as the labor, I'm not sure if there's any fabrication needed because the chassis is the same, so you'd only need to bolt in the MT parts.  I'm pretty sure your firewall already has the mounting holes for a clutch master cylinder.  You will need to replace the brake pedal with a MT brake pedal, but that would only be like 1 bolt and 2 nuts to replace.  The biggest thing will be pulling the motor to do the tranny swap or dropping the sub frame to pull the tranny.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
neoryan7

neoryan7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »

Thanks for the offer Tim I'll keep that in mind. LMK if you happen to come up on some good deals for MT items.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »

I've got a bunch of broken clutch pedals and clutch master cylinders. laugh

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
neoryan7

neoryan7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »

how broken? Wink
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 08:10:12 AM »

Broken enough that you would want to just buy a new one from Honda.  I wouldn't sell you broken parts.

Tim
neoryan7

neoryan7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »

haha, do you think I can just cut the brake pedal and fit a MT pad on? Do you have a Comptech SS/Neuspeed SS or a Mugen shifter?
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 07:33:09 PM »

I wouldn't.  Don't be ghetto about it Ryan.  I have the comptech ss and a shortened OEM shifter.  You can have my OEM shifter if you want.

Tim
neoryan7

neoryan7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »

haha I wish i knew someone at Honda
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »

Me too.

Tim
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012